Monday, April 7, 2014

My Catskills Treasure: The Roxbury Motel

On May 25th, Matt and I will be celebrating our 7th anniversary. Crazy, right?! Just saying it makes me feel old, even though I know that I'm not. Matt and I ventured off to New York last year to ring in 6 years. We are completely obsessed with New York. Our first trip to New York together was all the way back in 2006. However, it was a miserable trip. I was very sick and the weather completely sucked.

When Matt's brother graduated from Syracuse University in 2011, we decided to make a vacation out of it. Matt told me to start looking up hotels and fun things to do in the Adirondacks and Catskills. I was having a very hard time finding any hotel or B&B that didn't have wood paneling in the former. Discouraged, I went to Google and typed in "catskills lodging." When my eyes saw the phrase "Catskills boutique motel", I got excited. Once I actually clicked on the website, I was hooked. I remember calling up Matt right away and telling him that we "absolutely have to stay there." And we did. Then again in 2012... and in 2013.

You can probably guess that Matt and I are basically obsessed with The Roxbury at this point. We're also very much in love with the Catskills. The Roxbury is like this contemporary dream world in the middle of a sleepy mountain town. The cool thing is that the dream setting changes every time we visit.

Here are some pictures from our first trip to The Roxbury. We stayed in "The Wizard's Emeralds."



Our second trip to The Roxbury Motel was in the fall of 2012. For this stay, we got to enjoy the "Genie's Bottle" suite. There was a small dining and kitchen area that connected to a living space, two bedrooms, and a genie bottle shaped bathroom. Yes! The walls are curved in the bathroom! It's such an incredible suite, and Matt and I are so thankful that we got to experience it. Matt didn't even mind all the pink. :) 



Last May, Matt and I stayed in THREE rooms over the course of our stay. We stayed in one of the smallest rooms for one night, a massive stand alone cottage called "The Archeologist's Digs" for another night, and a Breakfast at Tiffany's inspired room for the next few nights. "The Digs" is inspired by adventure and films like Indiana Jones. There is a living room, dining area, full kitchen, three bedrooms, two bathrooms, an outdoor shower, and a deck. It's absolutely incredible! As soon as we checked into the cottage I told Matt, "I'm going to take a shower outside! I've always wanted to say that!" It was so much fun! We made friends with the fish that protect Cleopatra (then showered next to them), slept in a bed that was once lost in a typhoon in the Indian Ocean, and spied on each other in a secret mineshaft cave. Where else in the WORLD can you do that in a freakin' hotel room? It's safe to say that every room that we've stayed in is so memorable. No two trips to The Roxbury are ever the same. There's always something new to be explored.



We've gotten to tour some rooms that we've never stayed in (but would like to) during our previous visits. Next month, we'll be staying in two rooms that we haven't experienced yet! One is a Flintstones themed room, and the other is a suite called "Noir Boudoir" which is reminiscent of a Victorian-era mansion, complete with spooky elements that'll make you think you're staying with The Addams Family. Here are some pictures of rooms that we have gotten to peek inside of.



I honestly don't think that Matt and I can fully explain why we love this place so much. We're so insanely thankful that this place exists, and it has become something very special to us. Sometimes, out of no where at all Matt will say to me, "I miss The Roxbury..." Usually what follows is a half hour conversation about what we want to do and see the next time that we go back out there. Maybe that should be my next blog post... why we love the Catskill Mountains.



No comments:

Post a Comment