Saturday, January 11, 2014

This is hard. ...That's What She Said.

Every single day since I started this blog, I've been struggling to figure out what my first "like" should be.  For some dumb reason, I feel that it needs to be poignant, or say a lot about me as a person.

In reality... it doesn't.

I have to jump into it without thinking too much about it, since every day I think about five things that I want to write about.  If I keep going at this pace, I'll never make progress.

I'm going to Walt Disney World in a month with my husband and our two friends.  To make the countdown to vacation fun, I made a list of 30 Disney movies that I want to watch before the trip.  Disney films remind me of my childhood, of Walt Disney, and of the parks' attractions.  Disney films are just a pure JOY to watch.


My oldest niece, Brooke, wrote me before Christmas and asked what my favorite Disney movies are.  I was stumped.  It took me a good amount of time to determine this, and I'm STILL not sure I got it right.    Here's what I wrote to Brooke... 

In no order... Hercules, Up, Tangled, Monsters, Inc., A Goofy Movie, and Cinderella 

I assumed she only wanted animated films, so that's what I came up with.  I can say with 100% certainty that "Up" is my #1 favorite.  After that... I have no idea what the order would be.  They're all quite different from each other, and I like each one for different reasons.  

Is "Up" one of the saddest movies I've ever seen?  Yes.  Is it one of the happiest movies I've ever seen? Yes.  The characters are BRILLIANT.  If my future child has even 25% of the sweet spunk that Russell has, I'd be so lucky.  Visually, the movie is so insanely beautiful.  The tie sequence is the best thing I've ever laid eyes on in a Disney film.  I also love when the house is floating past the kids' bedroom.  The balloons are so vivid as they float past behind the kid.  I'm getting legitimately excited talking about this now.  Moving on...

I remember the very first time that I saw Hercules.  My mom bought the VHS, and I sat in my living room with my brother and mom as we watched together.  I was sitting on the floor when the movie ended.  The three of us started dancing and singing, and I remember asking my mom to rewind it so we could watch it again.  The music is really what sucked me into Hercules.  "Go the Distance" is truly the most uplifting and inspiring song of any Disney movie, at least in my book.  Meg's solo song, "I Won't Say (I'm in Love)", is sung by one of my favorite voices EVER, Susan Egan.  Without a doubt, Hades is my favorite Disney villain.  He's absolutely hilarious and sinister all at the same time.

I didn't see Tangled until about a year after it came out.  I'm not sure why I waited so long.  Tangled has a special place in my heart, because I can identify with Rapunzel.  She's a bird, cooped up in a cage.  Rapunzel has this gut feeling that there is somewhere else that she belongs.  She's so spunky and adventurous!  I could go on and on about her... but I won't.  Then I'll sound obsessed... which I am.

Monsters, Inc., had me from the first time I saw it.  It's one of those movies I can watch at any time, and it will make me laugh so hard.  The little girl, Boo, just melts my heart.  The animators really captured the sweet innocence of a child with her character.  It makes me feel so happy that my youngest niece is obsessed with Monsters, Inc.  One of these days, she'll get to meet her favorite monster, Sully, and I'm sure I'll be nearby watching... and crying.

Okay, guys... A Goofy Movie.  My crush.  No, not Goofy... Max. I always wished that there was a guy back in middle school that was just like Max Goof.  He makes a total fool out of himself to try and impress a girl, yet still manages to come off so charming.  My favorite thing about A Goofy Movie, is Max and Goofy's relationship.  It always reminded me of my relationship with my mom.  Sometimes your parent embarrasses you beyond all belief, but you know that they love you more than anything, and will do anything for you.  I like watching Max learn to be proud of having Goofy as his dad.

Last, but not least, my favorite Disney classic, Cinderella.  I remember dressing up as Cinderella for Halloween when I was five.  I did not want to take that dress off.  It was the first time that I ever got a taste of what it would be like to be a Disney princess.  To this day, watching the movie reminds me that dreams can come true.  It sounds so cheesy, I know.  Cinderella was always kicked while she was down, and she still never gave up hope that a better life was possible for her.  






2 comments:

  1. So sweet! I agree, there are so many it is hard to start figuring it out. I just saw Hercules a couple months ago, cause my kids were singing the songs and I realized I had never seen it. It must have come out in the blur of having a baby sometime. Haha. I love it too! Great songs. It's really great to hear about your love for Disney. Thanks for sharing it with us all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have only seen about half of those. Haha! I love love love Heavyweights!

    ReplyDelete